Friday, May 4, 2007

Chapter Nine

Three more weeks passed. Days came and went. Shweta lost track of the days. She was too deeply involved. She was completely dependent on him. This was too little a time for her to have become like this. She was falling for him. She felt he deserved to know her story. She cannot spoil her life fearing some shadow. Yet she was not ready to sacrifice on Shiva’s safety either! She was caught between the angel and deep sea. A sea which threatened to swallow the angel if she chose that.

On the other hand, even he was as thrilled as she was! She mattered a lot to him! This relationship was different. It was a new experience for him. But that didn’t prevent him from doing his duties. It was just another friendship.

The day passed slowly for Shweta. Most of the classes were free that day. She had plenty of time to think what she had to tell Shiva that evening.

After returning home and after rehearsing what she wished to convey Shweta called Shiva. When he answered the call, she said it was something important. He was eager to hear it. She said just two words “am afraid”. He couldn’t understand. She said it again. He asked if she could be a bit clear. She said, “Am afraid something will happen to you”. This made him laugh. She stopped and told him a story; her story.

After she finished, she continued talking, “I like you very much. I want you for me. I am too afraid”. He was silent. She carried on, “I am beginning to fall in what I define as love in my opinion. I want to share my life with you. It is one of those feelings a girl gets only once. I really don’t expect anything from you right now. I said what I felt. I’ll try not to talk about it again.”

Silence… Then Shiva spoke feebly, “does he still follow you?” It took Shweta a few moments to correlate what he was saying and then she replied, “ah… at times… yes…” He tried to sound reassuring and wanted to instill some confidence in her. But he was not able to do that. He said, “Whatever you’ve told is very disturbing. I meant your past”. He paused for a while, “and regarding what you feel, I don’t know what to tell. I think it is best for us not to talk about it unless it is impossible not to…”

No comments: